-->

Friday, March 8, 2013

10 Things I've Learned About Diabetes

The Magnificent List of Ten Things I've Learned 
About Diabetes In The Past Ten Months.
or
Things Every Diabetic Should Know

After living with diabetes for almost ten months, I consider myself to be something of an expert. Along this bumpy road, I've discovered a few things and thought I might share.

1. Pizza is evil. It might taste delicious with it's gooey cheese and crunchy crust, but don't let it fool you. It's deceptively blood sugar spiking and delicious. It also likes to scream, "HAHA YOU THINK THAT YOU CAN ACURATELY COVER ME SO THAT YOU DON'T GO LOW AND THEN HIGH?! THINK AGAIN!" whenever you eat it. So beware. It's tricky.


2. If you're going to forget your insulin at home while going on a day trip, do it when you're going to Tahoe. The people in the ER there are quite friendly. Not that I would know or anything. >.>

3. No measurement or carb count is going to be exactly accurate. None. So do your best and don't stress when their slightly off.

4. Adrenaline brings your bloodsugar up. Playing dodge ball for four hours might make your blood sugar go up to 400. And then plummet to 35 in a matter of three hours. Ask me how I know.

5. Gushers are great for lows. I know that most people say treat with the rule of 15 (15gm carbs, wait 15 minutes, and then test again and repeat if still low), but I've found that, for myself, 15gm isn't quite enough to make my blood sugar go back up to a good level. 20gm, however, work just fine. Gushers are now my preferred snack when low.

6. People will try to identify with you by saying, "My grandma's cat had diabetes...it died." Yeeeaaahhhh. I think that's enough said.

7.  Having a bad day/in a bad mood? It's your blood sugar. Even when it's not your blood sugar, it's your blood sugar. Now go check it and eat a snack, because you're cranky.

8.  The ladies at the Pediatric Endocrinology and Nutrition Clinic (PENs) are super nice. This is a shout out to Lisa, our social worker; Lisa M., the nurse; Geneva, the dietician; and all the other ladies that make checking up on things and setting new basals easy. You ladies rock. ;)

9. My friends are awesome. Jacquline, Amanda, Jenna, Emma, Selena...all of you ladies rock. You've been supportive and understanding when I can't do things due to bloodsugars or when I just need to rant about life. Love you girls. :)

10. Diabetes has opened me up to new opportunities. I would never have started this blog without diabetes. I wouldn't have been browsing the 'teens with chronic illnesses' thread on the NaNoWriMo forums and would never have met Adeline. It's been a rough past ten months, don't get me wrong, but this is has let me connect with other kids who need a support system. ;)

What are some of the things you've learned about diabetes over the months/years?

No comments:

Post a Comment