-->

Friday, October 26, 2012

Don't Give Up.

At first I was going to write about my impending widowhood and the fact that I start pump classes in a week and a half (which will come next week instead), but then I heard this song. Give it a listen and then come back to this post, kay?

don't give up
and help is surely on its way
and don't give up
and the dark is breaking in today
and just keep on moving through these storms
and soon enough you'll find the door
just don't give up
oh and don't give up

This is a lot harder than it looks, isn't it? People say that they get what we have to do, but they don't really, do they? They're not the one's having a million shots all the time and counting everything they eat and going to doctors all the time. They just don't get it.

If you're like me, that's how you felt at the very beginning and even every now and then now that it's been a few months. You're getting kinda tired of the weird looks and questions when you pull out your stuff in public and the questions when you have to stop playing ultimate frisbee to test your bloodsugar. It's not the funnest thing in the world and I feel your pain. I really do. 

But don't give up.

In five short months things have gotten infinitely easier already. I know how much insulin I need to cut back on before going to play frisbee. I know how to cover the carbs in that cookie. I've found some things really aren't worth eating anymore and some things are. I've learned how to pretty much guesstimate the carbs in meals. I'm learning how to balance everything I used to do with the diabetes. It might take me a little while, but I can do this.

And so can you. We just need to think positively about this. It's not going to be the easiest of roads, but you and I can defy diabetes. It doesn't have to be something that dictates our lives.

So just don't give up.

No comments:

Post a Comment