-->

Monday, October 22, 2012

Introduction: Adeline

Hey, I'm Adeline. I'm seventeen and a senior at my high school. 

I've had diabetes for a little over 8 years now, so I've gone through the motions at least a few times.

Anyways, I thought for my first post, I should have a little mini biography of my diagnosis and life since, just so that you all know where I'm coming from in my upcoming posts. 

I was nine and it was August 2004. I was becoming skinnier and skinnier, and I drank more than I ate. (We all know the symptoms). Eventually my parents brought me to my pediatrician; they did a few tests and we waited for a little while. My doctor finally entered the waiting room and I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. I really don't remember much about my diagnosis, I remember there was a good amount of tears (an appropriate reaction) and a few days in the hospital. I didn't really know any diabetics until more recently and I don't go to school with them, so meetings are scarce. I grew up around people who didn't really understand my illness. It was frustrating and hard at times, but it did push me to become more independent with my medication. I've gone through a few types of medication since my diagnosis. I started with NPH (which you won't know unless you've had diabetes for a little while) and now I take Lantus. I don't use a pump, although I plan to at least try one before going to college next year. 

So, that's basically my diabetic experience so far. 
I've also decided to include my current bloodsugar on each post. 

Blood Sugar: 220 (just ate dinner, so it's a tad off...)

No comments:

Post a Comment