-->

Monday, October 29, 2012

No Limits

I am going to first apologize about the rush of this post, Hurricane Sandy is coming ever closer to killing off our power, so I am really hoping it isn't cut before I publish this.

Anyways, moving on. This week's tip from me can really be applicable to anyone with any kind of disease/condition. So here it is:

Don't let Diabetes (or anything else you may have) define you.

I have met plenty of people over the years, who when introducing themselves, immediately recite their medical history. (Exception: When introducing yourself to school nurses, teachers, chaperones, camp counselors, etc. or you're at a diabetic support group meeting/write for a diabetic blog). Diabetes shouldn't be what makes you, you. It shouldn't be the thing that makes people want to be friends with you. It shouldn't be the word that defines you. And that is why the phrase, "who happens to have" is one you should know. 

I am an artist, writer, explorer, reader, athlete, person, who happens to have type-one Diabetes. 

By making Diabetes the most important thing about you, you are giving the disease more power than it should have over your life. Diabetes really shouldn't be the reason for you to not do something. You just have to make sure that you're always prepared and that you're conscious of it, then really you can do everything everyone else can. 

Over the past 8 years I've done so much as a diabetic. I've gone to concerts, traveled to cities on my own, gone to Europe, and I plan to go to college unrestrained my condition. (Although, if you're a newly diagnosed diabetic, I say go in baby steps of what you and your parents deem comfortable.)


Blood Sugar: 146

-Adeline

No comments:

Post a Comment